From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:16:19 -0600
Peter asks:
So why are there so many arthritic old beekeepers around?

I do see many arthritic hobby beekeepers. I do not see arthritis problems
with lifelong still getting stung on a regular basis (keeping up immunity)
commercial beekeepers.

My mother had  crippling rheumatoid arthritis. My father walked with a cane
from arthritis. When I go to a family reunion and show the family I have not
got arthritis they are amazed.

To prove the point to my medical doctor (within last decade)when he tried to
give me arthritis drugs I took an arthritis blood test which came back
negative.

When my blood was tested a high amount of the immunuglobulin G type (IgG)
was found.

 IgG combines with the venom proteins to form biologically inactive
complexes that the body can eliminate. (Riches 1991)

Those hypersensitive to venom instead of generating IgG antibodies form a
different immunoglobulin (IgE) which combines with venom proteins ,releasing
histamine and other active  agents (Riches 1982,1989).

In a bee book published last year the following was said as fact:

"With each sting a person gets less tolerant of the venom. Bee venom is
cumulative"

I do not believe the above is true!   Research done by Riches & Dr. Steve
Carlston do not agree with the above.

researchers have told me it takes approx. 150 stings within a 12 month
period to maintain immunity. Full immunity which I believe I carry simply
put means I can be stung right next to a ring on my finger  and no need to
remove the ring. Zero swelling.

It is my opinion (and other fulltime beekeepers) that if you swell you are
not yet up to full immunity. Years ago I would swell slightly in early
spring but for many years now the immunity lasts through the off season.

I have heard stories of lifelong beekeepers getting hypersensitive to bee
stings after a lifetime of beekeeping among but have never met one of these
in fulltime beekeeper circles.

Are the bee stings the reason I did not inherit the family arthritis????

Are bee stings cumulative and a future reaction will happen for sure????

 Interesting subject.

What does the list say?

Bob