From:
josh jaros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 04:49:12 -0700
Scot wrote,

"This is darwinism, this is nature, and this is
life. It is why we have evolved into humans, and why bees have evolved into
bees. The lines of our most ancient ancestry were effected and selected by
nature, in which each new strength helps to compete, while each weakness is
weeded out one or more at a time. New forms of stress factors and challenges
to survival will continue to be placed upon us and all living things. This
game does not only include our friends, but also our neighbors which happen
to be our challenges (varroa, cancer, polio, etc etc etc). This is how we are
where we are today, both in modern medicine, and beekeeping. If we continue
providing challenges for our ailments to overcome, we will continue to see
our ailments overcome each barrier we place in front of it because WE KILL
THE WEAK with each treatment aiding nature do her job in selecting the
strong. THIS IS >>> THE DARWIN FACTOR <<<. More commonly known as evolution."

     We are not looking at evolution here at all.  You say there are "new strength(s)" but no such strengths have been created.  The proper scientific term is natural selection.  The strengths that we are desiring as beekeepers, have always been there, they are not new.  The DNA of the desired bees contains certain strings that we desire and they were already contained from the beginning.  This is proven by the fact that many different beekeepers have developed their own line of survivors all around the world.  There is no other explanation other than that the bees already contained the information.

Josh Jaros