From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:35:26 -0500
Visiting > http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/
a topic suggesting that the country of India is poised to increase its
exports of honey in the global market. Increasing from 20,000 tonnes at
present to 30,000 tonnes by 2008.

Increase indeed!

What really caught my eye was the claim that:

"The beekeeping activities of countries and regions like China, Europe
and the US have been affected by the pest and viral attacks, the impact
of which has been so severe and drastic that their honey exports have
been virtually ruined,"
Assocham president Mahendra K. Sanghi.

So knowing that India contacted with varroa in 1961, and the FOA
suggests that this mite is a big problem in India
> http://www.fao.org/WAICENT/FAOINFO/AGRICULT/ags/Agsi/agin.htm

that Apis cerana. indica only produces approx. 3 to 5kg. of honey /year,

and there are problems with Apis m.
> http://cgi.www.new-agri.co.uk/00-5/focuson/focuson6.html

Apis dorsata produces upto 80kg of honey but is not domesticated (AFAIK).

How come Indian beekeepers are considering that the rest of us are
ruined by varroa and viruses, leaving their industry to thrive and
expand its export market?

If produce that is placed on the market comes up to the production
standards that I am required to attain to sell my honey  - fine, BUT,

Is this is going to be another case of "Me having to make clean honey in
clean place", whilst the nation's packers then import below home standards?

Packers should start to realise that it may not just be production
industries that will move "off shore" as at present. The producers of
cheap material will one day bite the hand that feeds them, and the
domestic suppliers that remain may not be able, or feel like filling
their bowl.

Just incase there are any comment about sub-standard honey on the
market, recall the recent recalls!!!, also, honey in cereal products,
any comments on that one seeing that it is so good for our children.

Regards,
Peter

P.S. Was it not an Indian company that recently offered to fill our jars
with a substance that could not be distinguished as not being honey?