From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:21:48 -0500
Peter said:
Somebody, somewhere must know why this material is presenting itself, and
the real reason for it use. Is there a "news" blackout on the subject? - Any
person from China prepared to comment?

The response from China has been so far (I am told) is that they do not know
how the chloramphenicol got in their product.

A question which comes to my mind is how long has honey contaminated with
chloramphenicol been sold on the world market? The chloramphenicol was found
by accident I have been told.

What we do know about the way the beekeeping industry works in China is all
drugs used to medicate/treat China hives are provided by the government .

In my opinion the chloramphenicol was passed out to China beekeepers by the
government with instructions for use for a specific reason as the
chloramphenicol *marker* has been found in almost all (if not all China
honey) I have been told.

The Chloramphenicol *marker* has been a big help
for the people looking for people trying to ship China honey into the U.S.
without paying tariffs.

 In my opinion the finding of chloramphenicol in honey is a big reason why
U.S. honey prices remain at record levels today.

China is by far the largest producer of honey in the world and past history
has shown is willing to sell below market price/cost of production  to
capture the world market.

Many U.S. packers are afraid (maybe for the first time) of foreign honey.
They have said to me they would like to buy only U.S. honey and run only
product of the U.S.A.on the label. The problem in the U.S is the U.S.
beekeepers only are able to produce about half of the honey consumed in the
U.S..

Jerry Brown (Richard Adee family) has urged commercial beekeepers in the
U.S. to help and not hinder new sideliners wanting to move into the
commercial beekeeping ranks. Jerry believes if U.S. beekeepers can produce
enough honey so as the packers will not have to look other places we can cut
the historical river of Chinese honey coming into the U.S. down to a
trickle.

 Jerry Brown and I talked many times for long periods at the Kansas meeting
(March 2004) about a variety of industry problems. At first the meeting was
awkward as our groups (AHPA & ABF) are supposed to be on the outs but we
both quickly realized we were both beekeepers and wanting only the best for
the beekeeping industry.

I really believe if we could set up a picnic every year with both groups
invited and we all sat around and visited for a few hours about beekeeping
the  feud between our two organizations would disappear.

Time to set aside our differences and the past bad blood between the two
groups   (AHPA & ABF) and move on for the good of the beekeeping industry!

I proudly consider Jerry Brown (secretary AHPA 2004) a friend to me and a
friend to the beekeeping industry!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
long time ABF member