From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:50:28 -0800
--- Ron/Eefje van Mierlo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This message was by exception sent to the
> Norlandbeekeeper
> and BEE-L groups to reach those of you that might
> winter hives
> in the colder climates....

.... I wondered what the chances would be that
> the bees
> got disturbed so much by the vibrations and noise
> that they would
> break away from the cluster and what the results
> could be if this
> happened?
> Are there any experiences on this?

Hi Ron, yes I have had similar experience.  But
instead of a tractor winching in a log disturbing the
colony.  It was a tractor of the living variety
winching my colonies,,,  a 300 pound black bear and
cubs at one of my out-yards.

The temp was about -3 C,  Responding to a phone call I
rushed to the out yard.  The bear had flipped the lids
off, and without tipping the colonies dug down thru 3
colonies breaking frames to get to the honey while the
cubs busyed themselves ripping pieces of hivebody from
the entrance way.

The colonies had to be moved that day.  In the rush I
had forgotten all my bee equipment at home and had no
help to lift the heavy double deeps into the truck.  I
improvised and slid all the hives off of the blocks
and tipped them on edge,  one by one to each side far
enough to be able to slide a cement block under with
each tip.

Eventually I managed to get all three colonies to a
level high enough to slide them onto the truck without
having to lift the full weight of the colony.  2
colonies managed to survive the disturbance and one
succumbed due to too much honey dripping on the
cluster.  IMO, this demonstrates that healthy
wintering colonies are able to survive great
disturbances during very cold periods.

=====
Joe Waggle ~ Organic Beekeeper,  Derry, PA
'Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
"Using humane and holistic beekeeping methods"
~ Small Cell Beekeeping ~ No treatments since 2001