From:
Gilles and Lee-Ann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:05:08 -0600
I can't resist this topic,

I think that public mistrust of genetically modified foods is not
isolated in Europe or India, but is a global concern or fear.  We don't
want and probably don't need GM wheat. The only group that wants it
released is Monsanto.   A large Canadian potato processing company
refused GM potatoes out of fear customers would reject their processed
spuds.  Interestingly, monsanto stopped producing these GM potatoes much
to the dismay of gardeners who loved them since the dreaded potato
beetle couldn't eat  them, thus required NO pesticide.  Potato growers
have returned to using  mutliple pesticides to control this voracious
beetle.  Not too good for our bees, and just about everything else.  We
are shocked to hear that scientists are cloning farm animals yet every
apple we eat comes from a cloned apple tree.  We've been doing this for
a very long time.

Public perception of knowledge and new tecnologies has usually been
accompanied by misunderstanding and  fear of what deleterious
consequences will follow as a result.  Cellular phones are thought to
cause brain tumours, although  I believe Europeans have embraced this
technology.  By the way, a canadian invented it. Why hasn't Europe
banned tobacco?  We know for cerain that it kills, plus it originates
from north america.  Remember how scared the Catholic clergy became when
someone dared mention the earth revolved around the sun, even though
other great civilizations that existed prior already knew this and a
great deal more about the cosmos. A few people got burned over that one.

The single greatest threat of genetically modified organisms is the
patent laws which grant ownership of life.  The world would be better
served should patent rights be struck down, thus genetic reseach should
follow a path to improve humanity.  Currently, the patent laws have
allowed a few powerful transnational corporations to quickly dominate
this field of research to which only serves to futher their interests.
Corporated controlled GM foods will not relieve the hunger that hundreds
of millions suffer everyday.   This is the issue that needs to be
addressed.  Publicly funded genetic research can offer an enourmous
array of new options for those struggling to produce food.  We can't
stick our heads in the sand and ignore options which can offer solutions
to our dependence on pesticides, etc.

Gilles