From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:55:45 -0600
Hello All,
Looks like the discussion between Ian & Keith about wintering has finnished.
Each sticking to his own way of beekeeping. Actually the way many beekeeping
discussions on BEE-L end.

As I have said many times on BEE-L beekeeping is a complex subject. Years
ago about the only way to dig deeper into complex beekeeping was to talk to
researchers. Today only the best beekeepers are left as those which would
not learn about modern problems simply went out of business.

Wintering is far more complex than the simple  issues of honey versus syrup
or wrap or not wrap.

For those wanting to look a little deeper I recommend reading Dr. Sanfords
article in this months "Bee Culture" called "Nutritional management of Honey
Bees" (Dec. 2003 pg. 26).

In my opinion BEE-L's own Dr. Sanford writes one of his best articles to
date. With help from our own Allen Dick's discussion of pollen patties which
Allen gave at the Canadian Honey Council, May 2003.

It is very true we do know quite a bit about honeybee nutrician but most
studies on protein were done over thirty years ago (but are still
available). What we don't know as Dr. Sanford points out in the article is
vast!

Another article on feeding which Dr. Sanford talks about and I highly
recommend was done by Dr. Jim Tew in Sept. 1996 (page 520) called "Focus On
Feeding".  I myself have refered to the Dr. Tew article on BEE-L myself.

I believe (could be wrong!) that if you called A.I. Root at 800-289-7668 or
emailed at www.BeeCulture.com and said you would try a years subscription to
Bee Culture they would copy and send you the "Focus on Feeding" article (
Sept. 1996) and start the subscription with the December issue.

The staff of both Bee Culture and the American Bee Journal have been very
heplful to me and other beekeepers over the years wanting information.
Although the ABJ library was on the upper floor of the Dadant building in
Hamilton. Il. when the top of the building was partially distroyed by a
tornado I believe Joe Graham told me they still have got a complete set of
ABJ back to the start of the magazine. 1927 is as far as I go back.

I also believe Bee Culture has copies of all their magazines.

Bob