From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:09:22 -0700
The western part of MT is relatively dry and not severely cold (20 below
for 1-2 weeks is as bad as it gets).  I have worked all over the U.S.

My one comment - one size does not fit all.

In humid, not severely cold areas, moisture is a major problem.  So
ventilation is a must.

And bottom screens will work in many areas, even those that get winter, but
I'd be cautious if you don't get snow fall.

To wrap or not wrap.  The main advantages of wrapping in roofing felt,
boxing in waxed boxes, etc. are:

Keeps the wind from roaring through the hive and 'stealing' cluster heat

Provides a bit of warming on sunny days that may allow the cluster to move
-- this is critical in northern states where under protracted periods of
cold, the cluster may consume all of the honey stores under them and not be
able to move laterally to uneaten food (honey) stores.  Generally, they
move up, but you don't want them trapped in February with the central core
eaten and too cold to re-distribute.

As per the wind -- my analogy is my truck in the winter.  I drive it to the
University every day.  Engine's warm by the time I get to the campus.  Snow
on the hood is melted off because of engine heat.  Normally, I park and
don't worry, regardless of how cold.  With a good battery, the truck will
start in the evening.  And, if I go out during the day, that engine has
residual heat for several hours.

But, add to that a roaring Hellgate wind (we get arctic "breezes" through
Hellgate canyon and onto the campus in the winter).  In fact, that's
happening today.  On those days, the engine heat is gone in a flash, and I
go out to start the truck at noon, otherwise its going to be so stiff as to
be iffy about starting in the evening.

Consider the cluster to be similar to the engine. Bees don't heat the
"box", but that buffer zone is important.  Winds pouring through the hive
suck any heat out, making them really work.  That's stressful and increases
food consumption.

Now, if you are in a warm climate, you probably don't want to wrap.  Your
problem is that the bees are too active, eating honey like there's no
tomorrow.

Jerry