From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:18:24 -0500
I have to say I never understood the use of either Ponderosa Pine or Western
Red Cedar for bee equipment.  I 'guessed' the use of Ponderosa Pine was
because certain principal manufacturers were located in the midst of the
growth...and it is not a bad wood, just not superior.  I've also guessed
that the use of Western Red Cedar was due more to hype than to any superior
qualities.

IMHO, and it is something I think I am at least slightly qualified to
comment on, there is nothing available at a reasonable cost that can beat
Eastern White Pine.  It is straight grained, lacking in abrasive minerals,
easy to dry, and when properly dried can be nailed up to the ends without
splitting.

Of great importance, it is still readily available in 12" widths, meaning
that Langstroth deeps can be well made at a reasonable cost.

Around here it is one of the dominant species and it seems that every third
farm has a band saw for processing rough cut lumber from their own woodlots.
It is so plentiful that the wood lot price did not move at all for almost 20
years, spiked when the tree huggers won the Spotted Owl cases, and then
spiked again when the politicians got involved in the availability of
softwood from Canada.  Still, it is 60% or so lower than any decent hardwood
prices.

We have only one supplier in the US that comes close to Thorne box quality,
and they exclusively use Eastern White Pine.  Thorne box quality is just
plain over-the-top (and completely unnecessary) for beekeeping, but it is
beautiful to look at and shows how committed the English are to providing
the best for their bees.

I have purchased a lot of new equipment in my time, and still do.  I would
not think of buying anything but Budget grade, but I know who I am dealing
with and get excellent wood that is well milled.  The Budget grade I get is
easily the same as Select from other dealers.

As always, ask around from beekeepers in your area.  Don't ask hobbyists,
ask commercial beekeepers.  They are real friendly and will have good
sources.

We have a 140 acre woodlot nearby and a 10-year cutting is coming up...yeah
for the Spotted Owl, politicians, etc.  The last cutting went to Japan!

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturers of Ross Rounds Comb
Honey Equipment, Sundance Pollen Traps