Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:12:23 -0400
If I understand Bob's argument, then his logic is basically this: because we
can't really guarantee the purity of a given product, then we should make no
real effort to do so, and offer no distinction to those who actually try.

Although I do agree that  certified organic standards are very difficult to
achieve, I think we can look to the opposite for a baseline comparison.  I
have often made mental note of the thousands of acres of forage on divided
highways (sweet clover, crown vetch, trefoil, etc.), wondering how much
honey could be made from this untapped resource.  I've also noticed some
beautiful forage around dumps, wastewater treatment plants, and transfer
stations (all such hive locations are forbidden in organic standards).  I
would never deliberately place hives in such environs simply because I
couldn't sell such honey with a clear conscience.   Undoubtedly, however,
some beekepers do not share such pangs of conscience.

Certified organic standards are quite rigid, and would seem to limit bees'
access to undesirable elements.  As such, to make the effort to adhere to
certified organic principles simply places one in a different marketing
camp.  If a savvy beekeeper wishes to avail themselves of such a market, so
be it.  I have no real ambition to participate in organic standards, simply
because most of Vermont is a bit too populated to insure the necessary
minimum distances  from potential contamination, not to mention the
difficulties of organic mite control.  If someone were willing to do the
legwork to find such sites, adhere to such stringent standards, and take the
obvious lumps from mite losses, why shouldn't they enjoy a special market
status, and the obvious premium price for their product?  Isn't this at the
heart of what we call "free market enterprise"?

Regards,

Todd.