From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:30:41 -0600
> You may have to do more than just maintain the temperature.  Proper
> ventilation is also very important.  If I remember correctly, there is
> someone in Canada doing something similar with full size colonies in
> canada.  They overwinter full size colonies in a temperature
> controlled building.

Yup, and nucs are wintered inside as well, usually with decent success
rates.  Although outdoor wintering is the dominant method, indoor
wintering is pretty commonplace, and several provincial govenments
publish plans.  As mentioned, the temperature, ventilation, and lack of
disturbance are key, but the most fundamental factors -- once these
factors are controlled, are the stock being wintered -- and the
fundamental condition of the colonies.  Although high rates of success
are not uncommon, more or less random failures occur, probably due to
viruses, pesticides, power failures, bad genetics, etc.

That actually is a good thing, too, because, otherwise those successful
at wintering -- and thus almost self-sufficient in terms of bee stock --
would be unsufferable in their lack of sympathy for those normal mortals
who fail again and again in their wintering attempts.  It is easy to
blame repeated failures on the beekeepers who lack success, but many
factors besides having only average intelligence, average education ,
sub-average financing and normal standards of dilligence can account for
repeated losses.  Sometimes it is something about the local honey or
pollen, or profitable summer management practices that cause the wrecks.
It is not always easy to learn which.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/