From:
Schlafer-Parton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 23:54:24 -0400
Dave Green wrote of being flabbergasted and steamed over the carpenter bee
article by  columnist David Bare of the Winston-Salem Journal.  I have 20+
years  as a beekeeper, practice organic gardening, put out nesting sites for
mason bees and generally try to "tread lightly" on the environment. I do
understand the role of native pollinators and try to help educate the public
whenever possible to the value of protecting our insect friends. I applaud
Dave's effort to set the record straight about the value of carpenter bees
and to provide "the other side of the story." I'm afraid, however, that part
of Dave's response may seem as biased to the non beekeeping public as Mr.
Bare's article was to protectors of the environment.

 Denying  that they can do considerable damage, when left alone, to one's
home or other structures is directly contrary to my own experience.
Dave wrote:

>> You say, they do "considerable damage" from repeated
>> colonization.  PROVE IT!   I challenge you to show me any damage
>> that is more than superficial and cosmetic, from carpenter bees that
>> have been left alone to do their thing.

I have a very healthy population of carpenter bees that, with no help or
provocation from me, are systematically destroying the siding on my house.
It is much more than cosmetic. Small structures such as storage sheds or
barns can even become so unstable as to the point of collapse after several
years.  Covering all wood with aluminum, or screen isn't always an option or
desirable. Painting can help, but ironically, my problem got worse after the
house was stained. Just the opposite of what I would have thought.
Dave wrote:
>> You have clearly illustrated the crux of the modern environmental
>> problem by your article on carpenter bees. The problem is centered
>> in an attitude.  Why must we impulsively destroy, without attempting
>> to understand, that which we fear?

 Mr. Bare had obviously researched carpenter bees since he knew of their
life cycle and the damage they can do. It is a shame he neglected to tell of
their redeeming qualities and valuable role they play in the food chain.

I don't believe Mr. Bare was advocating destroying all carpenter bees, just
protecting his house. I believe we can tell the other side of the story
without faulting him for that.

Joel Parton
Knoxville, Tennessee