From:
Layne Westover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 09:12:27 -0500
Peter Edwards said:

>I agree that some swarms are well worth collecting, but if you took the
>total cost of all callouts, i.e. good swarms, small swarms, those that
>depart before you arrive, those that abscond after hiving, those that are
>out of reach (despite assurances that they can be reached easily), those
>that are not swarms at all (bumble bees, solitary bees, large number of bees
>working a good nectar source such as cotoneaster), then I suspect that there
>is little profit left.

There is also a wonderful invention called the telephone in our country, and
I use it to the best advantage.  Since I am an entomologist and have been
doing this for a long time, I usually know the right questions to ask (and I ask
a whole series of questions before I ever even think of going) and can usually
therefore determine what I would be dealing with.  For many calls, I give them
advice over the telephone and do not go personally.  Many people are
capable of solving their own problems after having been given advice by
someone with experience.  I very rarely go out for a worthless swarm, and as
I mentioned in my last post, I always take some honey to sell, so very rarely do
I come up "empty."  It's easier to sell honey to someone for whom you have
just done a favor--they usually feel an obligation to buy.  Since I do this as a
hobby and usually do not charge for picking up swarms, I do not feel an
obligation to respond to every call I receive and I set the ground rules about
what I will do and when I will do it.  I have learned to say no or to refer them
to someone else when appropriate.  Sometimes I refer them to other
(particularly new) beekeepers who would like to have the experience,
particularly when it is late in the season.  Sometimes I just let the phone ring
and do not answer it if I have something more important to do.  But I also
consider what I do to be a public service and my way of giving something
worthwhile to my community.  Sometimes just helping someone who no one
else is willing or able to help is reward enough in itself.  Some people have no
one else to turn to when they have a problem.  Coming up with a solution to a
challenging problem gives me a great sense of satisfaction.  Hopefully these
thoughts will add a little more to the perspective and discussion.  Not all
things worth doing result in a financial reward, but often they do.  When they
don't, there are other ways of being rewarded.  The Weavers never respond
to swarm calls.  It's not one of the things they do, but they raise good queens.
I respond to swarm calls because I want to, not because I have to, and I
have never once in my life purchased a package of bees.  I spend as little
money as possible on my hobbies.  I try to make them pay for themselves.

Layne Westover, College Station, Texas