Condense Mail Headers

From:
Kathy E Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:52:31 EDT
In a message dated 4/13/2003 3:46:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Can anyone tell me what might be the cause of the absconding, weak
> populations, scattering of dead, unemerged bees and damaged wings? Could
> the
> ants have been the cause of the absconding?

Bees abscond when they get disturbed. They probably wanted to find a new home
because of the activity around the old one.  A friend had a hive abscond when
a huge yellow jacket nest near by came alive. The damaged wing is Deformed
Wing Virus. Have you done a check to see what the population of varroa mites
is? Usually when the bees get this, it is because there are lots of mites and
the mites spread it. As for the dead bees in cells, you may have had a small
colony and they might not have had enough nurse bees or worker bees to cover
the brood to keep it warm?

To get rid of the mite....You can use a screened bottom board and some of the
mites fall out. You can put a sticky board (as simple as a sheet of parchment
paper sprayed with pam) and trap the fallen mites and pull them out. (oh,
yeah, the mites are raised in drone brood) You can put a frame of drone
foundation in and let the queen lay it and then pull it out after all the
cells are capped and freeze it to kill the brood and the mites. You can take
a nylon stocking and fill it with powdered sugar and shake it over the bees
and the comb and it acts like powder to make the mites fall off. You can give
the bees a sugar/shortening/honey mixture and this will help with both types
of mites.  I don't know how much you  have studied all of the bee facts, but
this would be what I would do and I'm a beginner, too. May will be my one yr.
anniversary. (10 hives) I also don't know if you use chemicals on your hives.
I don't, so I won't tell you how to do that, I'll let someone who uses them
tell you. Now, I would further, take a frame of mostly capped brood from your
good hive and give it a light shake and then take it and spray it and the
bees with sugar water, and put it in the bad hive. This will immediately give
your hive a burst of new bees that will be foragers in a few weeks and will
be house/nurse bees to cover the brood and keep up the temperature. I like
the area you are from! Just was there last week. I'm in northern Cali. Saw a
swarm on a post with a water faucet on it on my way down there, while at a
rest stop. Have you had any problem with African bees?
Kathy Cox