Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 12:59:53 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> While I can emphasize with all who've had unfavorable experiences with
> government officials ( and who has not had similar or worse experiences
with
> private ones?),  we owe James Fischer a thank you for elequently
reasserting
> what it takes to underpin a civilized community.  I've lived in societies
> where these underpinnings didn't exist.  It wasn't pleasant and we need to
be
> wary about protecting and enhancing the community we've inherited.

Reply:
While this can be true, however, in far too many instances I've seen and been
associated with, or heard about, politics was being played and invidivuals
were being singled out for either better or worse to make a statement,
especially within our beekeeping industry.

Here we have very bad inspection, and yet rather then talk about the need for
perhaps a training program need for better inspectors, we seem to be talking
about how to keep quiet about it on the beekeepers part.

Or maybe there should be a hotline for reporting such irregularities by
beekeeper! Still it goes back to main point. How many professionals doing vet
inspections, looking for serious problems, just walk in to farm operations? Here I
would say a routine inspection was going on. Appointment should have been
made. Then if something out of ordinary found, then kick into higher gear. Any big
problems to be known in area? It's like sneaking in and out to take a peak???
Why? That certainly does not sound professional by any standard to me. We are
supposed to respect inspectors, but where is the respect to beekeeper up
front.

Also if inspectors are being hired to inspect industry, then the old question
comes up and is what we used in Arizona. If true professionals, then why do
we need inspectors? We should know what to do. Under law do inspectors inspect
the newbees, the hobbysts, the new learners much? Seems this is where the
greater need is. If now concentrating on where the need is, the newbees, then they
are really needed.  Are hobbyists industry for production purposes and
pollenation for food products to public. Isn't that what industry is?Aren't newbees
beekeepers in learning, needing to be shown more how to keep bees without
problems.  Professional shouldn't have disease problems they cannot handle or they
wouldn't be professionals.

 Professionals should take care of themselves. If they cannot, then perhaps
they should be allowed to go out of business, for do we need professinals that
have to have their hands held?

Maybe inspectors need to concentrate on newbees and professionals left alone.

I think Michael is a good professional beekeeper or else he wouldn't be
reacting this way to such sloppily crude inspection work. It's like a newbee
inspector inspecting a pro and not in same category. Just a pityfull scenario that
has taken place.

Dee-