From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:02:15 -0500
Allen
Pretty good comparison, in my book. In fact, I would have sided with the
mutts until I acquired a pure-bred yellow lab. This dog is smarter,
friendlier, prettier, etc. than any dog I  have ever had. Unfortunately she
is now deaf, covered with tumors and can hardly walk. I am sure a mutt
would be in much better shape at her age, which brings us back to what is
important? Health, management, good looks, you pick.

Perhaps the dog is not such a good comparison. A dog can be a pet as well
as a work animal. Bees don't make that good of a pet, though I am sure to
get some argument there. But like pets, we want them to know us, or at
least not hate us. If we were raising rattlesnakes, if might be a different
story. There you know you are dealing with trouble 24/7. With bees, there
are times when we get along as well as we do with our pet dog.

That would no doubt all change if we were to adopt a highly aggressive bee
which might be very healthy but require constant smoking, special clothing,
and you could never be rough with them. I don't necessarily mean the
African Bee either. I have seen strains of bees isolated by beekeepers that
they claimed were better producers, healthier, etc. and they were also
mean. Myabe these traits are linked ...

PB