From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:06:59 -0500
Bill said:
 Most of what I have read says that with winters above an
average of 28F wrapping will help, but not when winters are below 28F
average.

I believe Bill has the above backwards. I have done both and if you want a
winter with an average temperature above 28F. wrap your bees. Don't wrap
your bees and you will many times  *it seems* get a very cold winter.

Wrapping is standard practice in the colder regions of the world which
should explain the benefit in areas of extreme cold and wind chills..

Two years over the last 20 years we had temperatures go to -25 F. at night
and rise to -5 F.to -10F. in the day and last for a few days. Many hives did
not survive unwrapped. Losses at our bee club were reported as high as 50%
in unwrapped hives.

My opinion is if you have got the time and want to wrap your bees you are
only out time and labor and have provided insurance against the rare
extremely cold weather we get every few years.

I  see little difference between wrapped and unwrapped in a mild winter.

I also feel wrapping is not rocket science and as long as wrapping is pulled
early causes no harm to the bees.

The materials for wrapping are not expensive considering the materials  can
be used over and over but involves the labor of installing, removing and
storing of materials each year.

Beekeepers always *it seems* put down any practices they are not currently
using. Beekeepers always it seems heap praise on any methods they are
currently using.

Methods which involve labor are often scoffed at. The way I work my bees in
spring is scoffed at by many as a huge waste of time as too labor intensive.
Yet Disease and mites are always under control,comb is culled, swarming is
kept to a minimum and all hives in the yard are similar in strength.

Bob