From:
Dave Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:52:14 -0400
....Swarmy now here in SC. We are about a week behind, after a week
of rain, but not too many hives yet to go, with a great forecast for
the rest of the week. If we have superhuman strength we can finish
making nucs this week.  Saw five swarms yesterday, one humungous, but
too high for me....   We caught a couple low ones. If we don't finish
dividing soon, they'll do it first.

      In my early days, when I only had about fifty hives. I
miscalculated and thought swarm control could be done later. On March
22, I went into my largest bee yard and half of them were in the
trees. I learned then that swarm control does not start with the
beginning of swarm season.

   I'm pleased with our swarm control program, which held them quite
well, until we had a week of rain. In early March we reversed boxes
on everything that had any strength, and added an empty box above.
We've watched them closely, never letting them plug up (until this
week) and as soon as a flow got going in each yard, we split them.

   With the shortage of bees, there's no problem marketing the
splits. I simply cannot understand why many beekeepers fight their
bees for several weeks each year to prevent them from doing what they
want to do - reproduce. And it usually is a losing battle. Cutting
out cells is a total waste. Continuously reversing bodies will delay
them but not stop them. The queens are indelibly programed to swarm
in their second year.

  There are only two ways I know that are consistantly reliable. One
is to split the hives. The other is to remove the old queen, before
they think of swarming themselves, and give them a cell or new queen.
The latter is useless, once they have their own cells. Cutting cells
will keep the bees demoralized, and inevitably one (usually puny)
cell will be missed, leading to swarming.

   Once there are swarm cells, it is time to bow to the inevitable
and split them. This is easy, compared to the other result. Climbing,
chasing, placating upset neighbors....and still more times than not,
losing valuable livestock.

   George Imirie, can I echo you?  Beekeepers who allow their bees to
swarm are really just bee-havers.  A good beekeeper will occasionally
lose a swarm. But 90% or more can be dealt with (profitably) by
beekeepers who keep on schedule and practive good bee-keeping. There
is no excuse for allowing your bees to all blow off and head for the
woods...or your neighbor's house.

  Gotta go now. - A few hives yet to work.....

Dave Green  SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com