From:
Dave Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:07:54 -0500
From:                   Howard Kogan <[log in to unmask]>

> Do clusters not move over to reach honey?

   No, Howard, bees do not move sideways in cold weather. Only
upward. Generally they will organize their resources for best
wintering, but it doesn't always work out. There are several
additional factors to consider.

1.   Was the cluster broken up into two or more clusters, or were
there some bees even in the corners of the hive? When tracheal
mite is real bad they seem to break cluster in winter.

2.   How big was the cluster? If it was less than soccer ball-sized,
there were other problems that contributed. Bees cannot self-
insulate, if the cluster is too small.

3.  Did you perform any late-season hive manipulations that moved
the honey/pollen around from the bee's organization?  Beekeepers
sometimes do this. You can move frames around with impunity in
the spring, but be careful of much manipulation in the fall.

4.  I'm assuming you checked for foulbrood scale, which is
ALWAYS a requirement for your post mortem. You should also
check for varroa mite droppings (white) to get an idea if they had a
high mite load.

5.  Did you let the brood chamber plug up late in the season, so the
queen could not raise the last cycle of brood for wintering. It is very
important to go into winter with young bees. Some beekeepers
remove all supers to treat for mites, without making provision for the
bees to have a place to put the last flows (goldenrod, aster, etc.).
The bees then stuff the brood chamber and block the queen from
laying.  Look at the bees in your deadout. You can tell the old from
the young bees if they aren't too badly deteriorated. Are they
predominantly old bees?

6.  Did you have any pesticide hits last season?  If so, they may
have stored poisoned pollen. They may consume some of this and
some bees die, then they cover the contaminated pollen with fresh,
and stop dying. Later, during the winter, when they are more
vulnerable, they uncover and start using the poisoned pollen. More
of our wintering problems than we generally realize are attributable
to stored contamination.

7.  The sun on the east side might be somewhat significant. Cold
winds on the west could be more so. If the cluster is undersized it
becomes more important yet. I have overwintered 5 frame-nucs
touching side-by-side, with entrances facing opposite. The clusters
are always on the inside wall in such arrangements.

   Sometimes when all is said and done, you just shrug your
shoulders and say, well, I just eliminated some weak genetics.
Breeding from survivors is a form of selective breeding.   :o)

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com