From:
Timothy Eisele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:44:05 -0500
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Chuck Norton wrote:

> snowy winter. I use a stethoscope to check viability of my hives instead of
> lifting a cover or getting down on my hands and knees in the snow with a

I agree, the stethoscope is a great tool for checking what is going on
in the hive.  I've been using one for several years now, and it gives
a very good, quick estimate of where the bees are and how numerous
they are, and aside from the rapping on the outside it doesn't even
disturb them.

The other invaluable tool for getting out to the hives is a
pair of snowshoes.  These are getting a lot cheaper these days
(you can get a serviceable pair for about $50 if you look), so
even if you only need them about one month per year, they might
be worth it.

--
Tim Eisele
Houghton, MI