From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:43:13 -0500
Allen wrote:
> > Well, it could -- if there were any evidence of capensis genes.

In any discussion about beekeeping issues one has to find common ground. The
above is the most  solid common ground between Allen and I in the
discussion.

To prove my point all would be needed would be to find capensis  genes.
Surely we would have to agree that a large scale search for capensis genes
has NEVER been done on Dees bees. Possibly not the feral bees of Arizona.

If I am understanding Dee correctly zero testing has been done since  the
African bee invaded Arizona. The testing was done  to confirm the race of
bee Dee had so she could tell if the bees had become AHB. Any recent
testing. Also how in depth a search for capensis genes?

Surely  we can also agree  that capensis genes being carried   with the bees
entering Arizona (AHB) which can be   directly traced back to the original
Kerr release is possible (if not likely). The 300 mile per year march of AHb
has been long documented. We know capensis queens were brought in by Kerr.

When I did the first post I used the following for the subject:
"capensis TRAITS found in Arizona feral colonies"

My question to Dr. Hoffman was  about the use of the word capensis type
traits. She could have said AHB invading hives  etc. but she did not.

Since my researching  SMR i have learned a few things about genes as the SMR
trait is controlled we think or at least Harbo and Harris think by two
genes.

A couple  researchers have said  (off list to protect their  reps) that two
genes (possibly one) are *most likely* responsible for  the  capensis
laying worker   traits.

 A friend of Dr. Kerrs said Dr. Kerr had told him back in the 60's that he
could isolate the capensis gene and put in any race of bee.

 My friend worked with Steve Tabor in the 60's and although he does not want
his name used I believe his story.

One reason I believe his story Is because I went to Illinois  to bee
meeting last fall to hear Steve Tabor talk. I asked Steve about a story my
friend had told me in the meeting (in front of a room full of beekeepers)

 The answer Steve gave was word for word  as my friend had told me. I
thought Steve might avoid the question but he did not and answered
honestly. I respect his honesty.

Bob