From:
Matthew Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:09:29 -0700
The email below reached me this morning, via another bee-related list. I thought U.S.-based Bee-L readers would be interested in knowing what APHIS is proposing, and have a chance to respond to APHIS. Readers from other countries may also like to check these out, as they may have implications for you if you are involved with shipping bees to/from the U.S., or you may have experience with similar regulations in your own countries, which can be useful for U.S. folks submitting comments.

Best wishes to all,
        Matthew Shepherd
        The Xerces Society

*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********

>[log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>> The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the United States
>> Department of Agriculture wishes to inform you that we have published a
>> proposed revision to the Bee Regulations in the Federal Register for your
>> review and comment.
>>
>> The docket was published in the Federal Register today, 19 August 2002.
>> The Federal Register notice (Docket No. 98-109-1) is available for public
>> comments through November 18, 2002.  I have included a pdf copy of the
>> notice below along with several other web addresses for sources of
>> information on this docket.
>>
>> Public hearings will be held regarding this proposed rule on the
>following
>> dates and locations, consult the Federal Register notice for full
>details:
>> 22 October 2002, Kailua-Kona, HI
>> 24 October 2002, Fresno, CA
>> 29 October 2002, Beltsville, MD
>>
>> The proposed regulations would combine the existing honey bee regulations
>> (7 CFR 322) and the "pollinator regulations" (7 CFR 319.76) (the
>pollinator
>> regulations cover the introduction of exotic bee diseases and parasites
>> through the importation of bees other than honeybees, certain beekeeping
>> byproducts, and used beekeeping equipment).  The revision proposes to
>allow
>> importation of honeybees from Australia and honeybees and honeybee semen
>> from New Zealand into the U.S.    Under the proposed regulations
>> importations from Canada would require an export certificate verifying
>that
>> the bees were of Canadian origin.  These revisions would modernize the
>> language of the regulations and make them current with respect to
>> international standards for trade in honey bees (OIE).  Additionally, the
>> Federal Register notice announces that revisions have been made to the
>New
>> Zealand Honeybee Pest Risk Assessment that was published before varroa
>was
>> discovered in New Zealand.
>>
>> (See attached file: 020819 FR Proposed Bee Reg Change.pdf)
>>
>> USDA Press Release can be found at:
>> http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/press/2002/08/beeregs_ppq.html
>>
>> Comments can be submitted online at:
>> http://comments.aphis.usda.gov/
>>
>> pdf and txt copies can be downloaded at:
>> http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppd/rad/webrepor.html
>>
>> Pest Risk Assessments for Honeybees from New Zealand and Australia can be
>> found at:
>> http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/pra/honeybees/
>>
>> Please forward this email to interested persons.

*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********
Matthew Shepherd
Pollinator Program Director

The Xerces Society
4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97215, USA
Tel: 503-232 6639 Fax: 503-233 6794
Email: [log in to unmask]
The Xerces Society is a nonprofit organization
dedicated to protecting the diversity of life
through the conservation of invertebrates,
the little things that run the world.

For information and membership details,
see our website at http://www.xerces.org/