Condense Mail Headers

From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:53:09 -0700
> "We have come... to where...we have seen NO AFB."

> Am I correct in concluding that you attribute this success to the
extender patties?

Yes.  There is no doubt in my mind.  We used dust and syrup for years
and *always* had some breakdown.  When we switched to extender patties,
we noticed a decrease immediately, then a complete disappearance of AFB.

I have always believed that if AFB spores are unable to grow and
multiply, that natural activity in the hive and the extraction of honey
will, over time, reduce the number of spores in the hive.  Moreover,
although spores are tough, they are not immortal.  There is natural
attrition in anything.  Maybe spores germinate, but are inhibited from
multiplying and sporulating by the drug.  That too reduces the numbers
in the hive over time.

Also, there has been speculation that as spores age and are kicked
around the hive, they lose potency.  Spores that can grow in a medium
(giving a positive AFB spore test result and thus seeming viable) may
not be vigorous enough to infect larvae in a real-life situation.

Add to that the speculation that being coated with wax and/or propolis
may reduce spores' activity and germination rate, and we can see that
anything that prevents AFB from getting to the spore-forming stage for
long enough, will have very beneficial effects and reduce the potential
infection drastically.

That's why hygienic bees are so successful in dealing with minor
outbreaks.  They get the contamination out of the hive pronto.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com