From:
"Orville G. Marti" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <BEE-L@ALBNYVM1>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 90 09:10:11 EDT
I am a USDA parasitologist studying an ectoparasitic nematode of
the adult moth Spodoptera frugiperda.  The nematode was first found
in French Guiana in 1982 and has since been determined to be quite
common in S. frugiperda in the U.S.  What is puzzling is that there
were no reports (that we can find) of the presence of this nematode
in the U.S. before we found it here in 1987.  I work in a lab which
has studied S. frugiperda since 1960 and no one paid any attention
to the presence of the nematode (if, indeed it was present).  At least
since the beginning of the century S. frugiperda has been studied by
numerous entomologists but none apparently noted this nematode.  Nematodes
are small and hard to identify, so it is easy to understand that someone
coming across them might tend to think that they were contaminants and
thus not relevant to the project at hand.
   So, I am interested in determining whether this nematode existed in
the U.S. prior to 1977 (when there was a major S. frugiperda outbreak).
To do this, I need access to stored specimens of the moths.  The nematodes
can be found on dried specimens after soaking for several hours in 70%
alcohol.  I am not asking for museum-quality pinned specimens, but merely
for incidental collections such as many entomologists make.  Specimens
stored in alcohol or formalin will serve just as well as dried ones.
If members of this list have such collections, or know of people who
do, please let me know.  The nematode has potential for biological control
of S. frugiperda.  Mocis and several other moth species are also
parasitized.
  I had to post this on the BEE list, because I could not find another
suitable list.  If you know a more appropriate list, please let me know.