From:
Adam Finkelstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 1994 15:52:00 -0400
 Hi, here is some information on how to read usenet news and obtain usenet access.
The information is put together FAQ style and credit is given by .signature
file.
 As with anything you read on the net, this information might help you, it might
not, but "your mileage may vary."
 Good luck,
Hope to see you in sci.agriculture.beekeeping and other usenet groups!
Sincerely,
Adam

 Adam Finkelstein   [log in to unmask]     [log in to unmask]
===============================================   |Bees To Please|   ===========

There are two basic ways to access news, one is when your system locally
spools (stores) the news articles themselves on the local machine. The
other (and often more frequent) way is to have one machine at a site
spool news and make those spools available by 'nntp' (network news
transport protocol) news reader programs can be setup to access the news
by either method usually.

No matter how your site handles news, you _could_ always get some program
sources, build your own news reader configured to use NNTP and 'point' the
resulting program(s) towards a 'public' NNTP server. You'll find these from
place to place, kind of like a 'gif' ftp site. There may be a list in one of
the access or bbs or similar newsgroups.

However, the preferred method is to email your system administrator and ask
for the group to be added. S.A.B. is a legitimate USENET newsgroup (only
certainly hierarchies are actually 'USENET' per se) and is in a 'serious'
hierarchy as well. (i.e. sci, not rec) so it should be relatively easy to
have the group added thus giving everyone the benefit and avoiding such
anti-social behavior as building your versions of software already on the
system.

There are also often mailing lists that 'echo' or duplicate a newsgroup and
make that available to people with mail only.
--
\ \  /  Jon Gefaell, Computer Systems Engineer       |  Amateur Radio, KD4CQY
 \/\/  Community Internetwork Research & Development |  -Will chmod for Food-

From: [log in to unmask] (arnold v. lesikar)
Subject: Re: NNTP info
Feel free to use whatever you need!
____
PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE NEWS SERVERS
(Last Update 3/14/94)

Many sites seem to have closed down since my last update. :(
Currently only one U.S. site still remains accessible. I am sorry about
that people, but I have no control over how the site administrators
decide to run their servers. We have lost several Gopher news sites as
well, but still 29 sites remain that provide news service through
Gopher.

(NOTE: 3/24/94 - the last U.S. site has just closed. You can try
sol.ctr.columbia.edu, but I am told that this site allows only 15
connections at one time. In fact I have never succeeded in connecting
to it. Reportedly it does allow posting.)

These sites have been found to be available to the general
public for NNTP service through port 119.  You will need
Newsreader software to make use of these sites. These sites
were found to be open at the time they were surveyed, but I
make no guarantees about future access. News administrators
are free to close off sites to the public at any time. I will remove
any site from this list that asks to be removed.

I have not surveyed what is available at each of these sites.
Please do not overload these sites looking for pornography. The
administrators of these sites have been notified about this list,
and they are unlikely to make prurient material available to the
public. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE A GUEST IN MAKING USE
OF THESE FACILITIES.  The news adminstrators who support
open access to the Usenet News are voluntarily doing a service
for the public. PLEASE SHOW GRATITUDE FOR THEIR EFFORTS BY
NOT ABUSING THE ACCESS THAT IS PROVIDED!

Please remember also that you can also use Gopher to access the Usenet
news. After the list of news servers, I have included bookmarks for
sites that provide access through Gopher for reading the news.
                                        - arnold v. lesikar

news.belwue.de, 129.143.2.4 (read only)

news.fu-berlin.de, 130.133.4.250 (posting OK)

news.uni-hohenheim.de, 144.41.2.4 (read only)

news.uni-stuttgart.de, 129.69.8.13  SEE NOTICE BELOW!

newsserver.rrzn.uni-hannover.de, 130.75.2.1 (posting OK)

nic.belwue.de, 129.143.2.4 (read only)

shakti.ncst.ernet.in, 144.16.1.1 (posting OK)

Notice from the news administration of news.uni-stuttgart.de [please
note the access policy & information below]
- allows *read-only* access on port 119,
- anon-nfs access to news.uni-stuttgart.de:/news and
  news.uni-stuttgart.de:/news/spool/news and, finally, to
  news.uni-stuttgart.de:/news/archive [our news archive].
- telnet access: rusinfo.rus.uni-stuttgart.de, login info,
  select menu item 1 (shell access), and to change to
  /pub/soft/comm/news/. cd spool/news for the spool dir,
  look around to watch a full-blown news server running 8-)
- anon-ftp access: ftp info2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de:/pub/comm/news/*,
  same tree as via telnet access.
- ftpmail access: [log in to unmask], same
  as ftp access above
- fsp access: info2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de, port 21, directory
  /comm/news
- X.25 access (now, thats it ! 8-) to
  NUA (WIN, Datex-P):   0262 45050 367111
  NUA (EuropaNet):      0204 3623 367111
- There is some way for decnet access. I don't know how this
  works. Good luck !

(quick'n'dirty) access policy: news.uni-stuttgart.de is a RS6000 with
128 MB RAM, FDDI interface, and a few Gigabytes disk (10, soon 15 8-).
Its also our campus anon-ftp server. Its running inn-1.4.
There are a few special hierarchies (e.g. russian, japanese, french
etc), but no alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.*, alt.sex.* and some other
groups the university administration was not able to allow, please
don't waste your time trying.

Do not abuse this service. If You want to use our nntp service
on a regular basis, please contact [log in to unmask]
so that we *know* who You are and why You use our server. This helps us
to defend the open access policy [and we've seen hard times ...]. We
will disable any domain without further notice if we have problems with it.

--------------------------

BOOKMARKS TO SITES PROVIDING GOPHER ACCESS TO USENET.

You can edit this list and include whatever parts are of interest in the
bookmark file for your Gopher client. Alternatively you can point your
client directly at the site. On a UNIX system, for example, you could
point your Gopher client at the La Tech Usenet site with the command

gopher -p '1/Usenet News'  aurora.engr.latech.edu 70.

The general format for the command in Unix is

gopher -p  'PATH'  host_name port#

You cannot post news articles via Gopher.  However, it is possible to
post news articles by mail through the University of Texas. You must
remember in using this service that the periods in the newsgroup
name are all changed to hyphens. So, to post an article to the
newsgroup "alt.beer," for example, you would e-mail your article
to the following address:
To post to the newsgroup "comp.os.vms," you would e-mail to

#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Lousisiana Tech)
Path=1/Usenet News
Host=aurora.latech.edu
Port=70
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Michigan State University)
Path=nntp
Host=gopher.msu.edu
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Walla Walla College)
Path=news
Host=saturn.wwc.edu
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (San Diego Supercomputer Center)
Path=1/News/Usenet
Host=milo.sdsc.edu
Port=70
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from University of Wyoming)
Path=nntp
Host=rodeo.uwyo.edu
Port=71
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Los Alamos)
Path=nntp
Host=info-server.lanl.gov
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Florida State)
Path=nntp
Host=gopher.fsu.EDU
Port=4320 [3/31/94 - Florida State site reported CLOSED]
#
Type=1
Name=Usenet News (from Universite Catholique de Louvain)
Path=1/info.sc/tech/srv.ext/news
Host=ifdh.sc.ucl.ac.be
Port=70
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Tampere University of Technology, Finland)
Path=nntp
Host=butler.cc.tut.fi
Port=6671
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Hannover Uni, Germany)
Path=nntp
Host=newsserver.rrzn.uni-hannover.de
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=Usenet News Reader (University of Manchester)
Path=nntp
Host=info.mcc.ac.uk
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (Osnabruek Uni, Germany)
Path=nntp
Host=gopher.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=Usenet News (from Erlangen Uni, Germany)
Path=nntp
Host=cd4680fs.rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=Usenet News (from Universite du Quebec a Montreal)
Path=nntp
Host=infopub.uqam.ca
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (University of Canberra, Australia)
Path=nntp
Host=services.canberra.edu.au
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Cranfield Institute of Technology, UK)
Path=nntp
Host=gopher.cranfield.ac.uk
Port=4324
#
Type=1
Name=Usenet News (from Birmingham University, UK)
Path=1/Usenet
Host=gopher.bham.ac.uk
Port=70
#
Type=1
Name=Usenet News (from Technische Universitaet Clausthal, Germany)
Path=1/Internet/News
Host=solaris.rz.tu-clausthal.de
Port=70
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (Internat'l Centre for Theoret. Physics, Trieste)
Path=1/news
Host=gopher.ictp.trieste.it
Port=70
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Tartu University, Taiwan)
Path=nntp
Host=gopher.ccu.edu.tw
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Universitaet Linz, Austria)
Path=nntp
Host=gopher.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=Usenet News (Prague University of Economics, Czech Republic)
Path=1/news
Host=pub.vse.cz
Port=70
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from Rhodes University, South Africa)
Path=nntp
Host=gopher.ru.ac.za
Port=4324
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (from University of New South Wales, Australia)
Path=nntp
Host=usage.csd.unsw.OZ.AU
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET News (Universitat Jaume I, Spain)
Path=nntp
Host=gopher.uji.es
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET news (from Palacky University, Czech Republic)
Path=nntp
Host=risc.upol.cz
Port=4320
#
Type=1
Name=USENET NEWS (from Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Spain)
Path=.news/
Host=mirzam.ccc.upv.es
Port=70
#
Type=1
Name=NETNEWS (from osiris.wu-wien.ac.at)
Path=1/.nn
Host=olymp.wu-wien.ac.at
Port=70