From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 01:18:18 -0700
> A question though.
> I've been warned that hives have to be able to breath.  And I have been
> given advise that I'm better off packing the hive a little too loose than
> seal it off, even with a vent hole in place.  Have you found moisture to
> be a problem with your wrap?

No, we have not, although we are in a dry area and that may be part of the
reason we have not.  The wrap is not extremely tight.  It is snug, but loose
enough that we can pull it down over the hive.  It might be compared to a
quilted winter jacket in its fit.

We do see some small amounts of moisture accumulating in the corners of the
hive under the top pillow if it is too tightly sealed at the edges, but not
directly above the cluster.  That condensation does not seem to be
significant enough to be a problem and perhaps provides the water needed by
the bees to liquefy the honey.

allen