From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:46:46 -0400
Bob,

I believe the problem to which Lloyd referred, is those that use the Epipen
when the only "symptoms" are a little pain, redness or swelling. In these
cases, the added epinephrine could kill (with certain underlying conditions)
and will at least stress your system.

Epipens save those that are experiencing shock, but are not indicated for
just any "reaction" to a sting.  The trick is to know the difference and
still be able to use the pen when truly needed.

I have an Epipen and have never used it.  I have, however, had a couple of
bad reactions from stings to the head ... mainly lowered blood pressure
resulting in the inability to walk for a few minutes.  Other stings have
just left small red spots on the hand or large swellings for several days
(worse on the face, of course, and if unable to get the stinger out).  So
far, I have been able to control my reactions with large doses of benadryl
(and sudafed to counteract the drowsiness). All after discussing the
situation with a doctor and having the pen on hand in case the reaction
worsened.  So far, I haven't had any reaction involving breathing.  Of
course, I now avoid being stung as much as possible -- wearing a hat in the
garden to keep the critters out of my hair and always suiting up, even for
minor manipulations and to mow around the hives.

I've also been present when someone with a severe allergy went into shock
and had trouble breathing -- despite a known problem with hornets and wasps,
this person did not carry an Epipen when in areas where he could easily be
exposed, then tried to continue his activities with no treatment after a
sting (that only lasted about 5 minutes).  He had to be carried out to a
parking area, then driven to the hospital, where he got to stay for some
time due to the severity of the reaction.  An Epipen in such a situation
could have saved much of that stay and the treatment required (although the
trip to the ER would have been prudent in any case).

Karen