From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 02:54:31 EST
In a message dated 3/9/02 4:25:42 AM GMT Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Does anyone know anything about thymol for varroa.? My research shows that
> it has proven effective in Europe where it is sold under the  brand name
> "Apiguard" but I've not seen it in the U.S. Is it available? Does it work?

Effective is a term laden with shades of interpretation.  I think the word
'fairly' should probably go in here as well. It is nowhere near as uniformly
effective as the front line pyrethroids (unless you are one of those areas
where resistance is rife). Figures as low as 50% control have been quoted,
but normally a good bit better than that.

My interpretation of the figures is that it is a good rotational option to
prevent build ups of resistance, but somewhat unsafe for your bees if used as
the primary or even sole treatment route. The unevenness of varroa kill is
the issue here.

It can also taint combs and honey. I can still smell it in some colonies
bought 6 years ago from a thymol treater ( he used too much though!) and the
last honey crop before I bought the bees was unsaleable at a table honey
price. Controlled dosages keep this in check, but your senses get used to
thymol and sensitivity gets reduced, so that you can think your honey to be
normal, whilst a lay person not exposed to it can detect the smell and taste.

So, in my opinion, useful as a PART of a treatment regime, but not best
applied as a single treatment option. (But then none are)

Murray