From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 00:03:05 -0500
I am hoping that someone with more experiance than I
>in beekeeping and in woodworking can help answer a
>qustion for me.  Has anyone used a Kreg Tool (also
>called a Pocket hole Jig)when assembling boxes?

I've got a simple kreg tool that works well for the limited use I need it
for.  It's nothing more than a metal block you clamp to the work piece and
a double drill bit that fits in the block to drill the pocket hole and
pilot hole.  I've used it for several projects.  Works great for butt
joints and I've even used it when renovating a house to effectively toe
nail a new stud in place where a hammer just wouldn't work and it avoids
the splits you typically get with toe nailing.

It makes a very strong butt joint, but I see little reason to use when
making supers.  It's typically used when you don't want to see the screw
from one side of the workpiece.   Exposed screws shouldn't make too much
difference in the durability/longevity of the box.  That said, I'd use 3
screws per joint on a medium super, 4 on a deep.  It might be a bit
overkill, and I have used only 2 on mediums when I was short of screws and
they seemed to hold up well, but that was with mitered joints with screws
though the face, not strictly butt joints.   Either way I'd use a good glue
in the joint (Titebond 2 or similar).

-Tim