From:
Mike Churchill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:52:32 -0600
At 02:31 PM 2/21/02 -0600, you wrote:
>I've just treated a new hive with copper naphthenate.  It looks quite
>nice.  Do I have to paint it or would it be OK as is?

Mark,
The copper naphthenate will protect against insect damage (termites), and
fungi (mildew, mold, dry rot) but it will not protect the wood from sun
damage.  Paint will protect wood from UV damage, and will minimize the
swelling/shrinking/warping due to fluctuating moisture levels.

I would paint (or marine varnish) the wood.

Curiously, Merichem's web site explicitly mentions beehives as an
application for their product (along with non-obvious uses such as tents,
fishing nets, and fabric).

http://www.merichem.com/COPPER/Index.HTM

Mike Churchill

Mike Churchill, Beginning Beekeeper  | "The difference is, that,
[log in to unmask]       | instead of dirt and poison, we
-------------------------------------| have rather chosen to fill our
http://www.netmechanic.com           | hives with honey and wax; thus
Power Tools for Your Web Site - Link | furnishing mankind with the two
and HTML testing, Server Reliability | noblest of things, which are
Testing, Website Promotion Tools     | sweetness and light." J. Swift