From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 11:16:21 -0500
Hello All,
Sorry for the miss spelled words and not signing the last post. I made a
rough draft of the post last night to look over this morning before sending.
A family member sent the post.
I do stand behind  what was posted. I did not say the name of the illegal
coumaphos on purpose. The chemical  does NOT control varroa. The fine for
its use is 10,000 U.S.
$10,000 will buy quite a bit of Checkmite strips.

Our local Bayer rep and I talk almost monthly about the growing problem.
With Apistan the use of an alternative was illegal but different. Even the
USDA used the alternative in testing and the alternative did not produce
fast  fluvalinate resistance as in the case of coumaphos because the
percents were similar.

In my area I tested every hive for varroa this spring. I did not use any
treatment for varroa as per those test results. A REAL and valid saving of
money. My fellow beekeepers put the strips in as they felt it was cheaper to
install strips than test. My friends were relieved I found no coumaphos
resistance varroa in my hives. Sadly my not finding coumaphos resistant
mites DOES NOT mean they are not in their hives. Checkmite is still working
for me BUT use only when needed.

I found fluvalinate resistant varroa three years before the FIRST documented
resistant varroa were found in Missouri. None of the other beekeepers were
testing. . When 80 to 90% of their hives died over the winter they woke up
but blammed  the weather for their losses. I came through the same winter
with less than 5 % losses.

It is the OBLIGATION of each informed beekeeper on BEE-L to try and inform
beekeepers which paths they cross that use of the 1% coumaphos solution does
not work and can cause super resistant varroa resistant to most chemicals
within two years.

To those beekeepers which do not agree with me I will be around to post *I
told you so later*.

 To the great group of U.S. apiary inspectors which allowed me to sit
through their meeting in Savannah where the subject above was discussed I
will post the above for you.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri