From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 22:56:47 -0700
A single glazed collector won't get hot enough to ignite the wood unless
it's been in service a long time. (451F more or less.) The designs I've
seen provide for the melted wax to drain out of the heated compartment.
If you do build a collector which you want to use for several seasons,
either start with a metal box, or line a wooden one with foil or light
weight sheet metal.  You can buy selective coatings for use with solar
collectors which improve performance by allowing less light to be
reflected out of the box.

Mark has it right.  The change in wave length of the reflected light makes
glass opaque to the reflected Infrared light and keeps it in the box.

As to tilt: you'll probably be using the wax melter during a relatively
short period and at the same time each year.  You can tilt it so that the
sun angle is perpendicular to the plane of the glass cover.  If you'll be
using it all year round, latitude plus or minus 15 degrees is rule of
thumb.

Don't laugh: I've seen collectors installed where they are shaded during
at least part of the day.  Keep it in the sun.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Matthew W. wrote:

> Design your melter so it's tiltable if possible - vs. fixed.  Mine doesn't sport
> this feature and I've ended up wedging it against the house at the best angle.
> Filling it full of wax makes me uneasy while it melts knowing it might be a fire
> hazard.  Anyone ever have one catch fire?

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, Raw Honey                | leave our kids a decent place to live.