From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:42:33 -0700
> With all the discussion on cell size and if smaller cell size promotes
> healthier colonies, comparing different manufacturers may not be taking
> all the variables into account.

One thing that mystifies me about this whole cell size business is this:

During the whole time that foundation sizes have been ranging in size, has
*no one* done a side-by-side test to determine if bees do better on one size
than another?

Did they just keep on making foundation slightly larger from time to time
(starting around 5.1mm) without scientifically comparing the effects on the
bees and proving a benefit?

I'd sure like to see someone open-minded, knowledgeable, critical and
thorough present a concise and well-referenced history of the transition
from natural comb to our current almost universal use of foundation.

I realise that there are bits and pieces of the story available here and
there, but they are interspersed with anecdote and speculation -- hardly
scientific or rigorous (IMO, anyhow)

I really think that this research would be a great thesis for someone, and
very meaningful to beekeepers and scientists alike.  There are even
implications outside the beekeeping group.

Any grad students out there?

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/