Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:15:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I will share my receipt, but first I have to caution against using grease patties.

In the US we found that our bees will quickly (3-5 years seems to be the general experience) build resistance to tracheal mites if left untreated.  However, in the process the losses can high.  A larger beekeeper can bear these losses without difficulty, but a person with fewer than 10 hives may find it more difficult to do so.  If a person has 50 hives and loses 75% (certainly not unrealistic), they will still have 12-13 hives and can quickly rebuild from splits.  These splits will likely come from hives with resistant bees, so losses the following year's) should be much lower.  However, losing 75% of 3 hives may get a beekeeper to -0- hives!

In the US, those selling New World Carnolian queens use breeder stock that is annually tested for tracheal mites.  Infection rates during the past 6 years have run 2%-4%.

But, if you are going to use grease patties:

Buy a large can of Crisco, or a similar high quality vegetable-based cooking shortening.  Remove the paper label, and place in an oven set on the lowest possible temperature.  (I turned the knob just until it clicked "on".)  Periodically check until the shortening is 100% liquid.  If you have a candy thermometer, the temperature should be about 200 degrees (F).  The can will be only about 1/2 full of liquid.   

Pour sugar into the can, stirring, until the sugar/shortening mixture fills the can.  Let cool and the mixture will return to a solid state.  Make into patties about 1/4 inch thick.  Separate with wax paper and put in a plastic bag in a freezer.  They will keep indefinitely.   

Normally the bees do not like to take the grease patties.  The addition of the sugar makes the patties more attractive.  They can be put on the hives frozen, with the wax paper.   

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturer of round comb honey equipment and Sundance pollen traps

ATOM RSS1 RSS2