From:
Al Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:30:23 -0500
[cut]
>  Those of
> us discussing it were aware that Checkmite+ was the only
> approved method for use in the hive, but what stumped us were
> chemicals that could be used to treat the ground around the
> hives.  I was aware that Guardstar can be used, but others
> were suggesting alternatives.  Some said that since the
> product was used outside the hive, it didnt require FDA
> approval.

In the use of any pesticide, the label is the law. Use of any pesticide,
for any reason, outside of the applications described on the label is
illegal.

>Were they correct in telling me that you could use other chemicals like
granular Dursban or Grubex, that are used to treat >for lawn grubs?

Worse than wrong! Many of these products, under the right conditions,
could wipe out your hives. If I recall Dursban can be a real danger to
your bees. Accidental contamination of equipment can wipe out a hive, or
worse weaken it which will allow the beetles to gain the upper hand.

I have had no luck with any chemical treatment. Hives with Checkmite
still have beetles running all over them. The best way I have found to
deal with beetles is to keep my hives strong and pull any frames that
show beetle larvae. Once larvae are established they drive the bees away
and expand rapidly in that area of the hive. Once they get into the
brood area the queen stops laying and it is all over.