From:
Al Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:14:59 -0700

> Im having a problem with a couple of my neighbors.They have complained
> about yellow spots on a white houses and a white cars and trucks.
> They had asked me to remove my hives from my land. If I don't they are
> going to seek the advice of an attorney.
> My township is all zoned Ag/Res.and live in upstate New York State.
> Any advice would be helpful.
> Thanks
> Craig M Spencer

First off you need to find out if the problem is your bees. If it is your bees then I think you have serveral options.

I do not know how big your land is or how near your hives are to the people complaining. My first thoughts are to get a
trusted outside party involved. If you have a state inspector who will work to help mediate the situation the
"voice of authority" of someone at "the state level" can help. I used this when I got some complaints about bees in my
yard and the city was going to write me up. I explained that he bees were inspected by the state (we have a great
bunch of inspectors here in Florida) and gave him their number. I am not sure what was said but the solution of getting
the bees out of site became the acceptable answer and one hive was moved about 3 feet.

If you can make adjustments that will alter the bees flight path, for example a few sections of privacy fence,
then that could solve some of the issue. Try to be a good neighbor. If, for example, they go to a local church then
find out if that churches youth group would like a few cases of honey to sell at their next fund raiser. If they
have kids in school, then find out if the school would like someone to come in and talk about bees and other
pollinators. That way you are not only helping to solve your current problem, but could be helping to prevent
future issues.

Now if being a good guy fails::

Some people are going to whine and complain no matter what you do. If it were not for the bees they would be complaining
about where you store your trash cans. People can sue about anything. If its not the yellow spots due to your bee
hives then it will be the brown spots due to your bird feeders.

Find a good lawyer, you know these people are going to be trouble sooner or later no matter what
you do with the bees. Be ready to call their bluff. If they want to pay a lawyer $100 to write you a
scary letter be prepared to have one written back. Do not agree to anything you do not want to. The
burden is on them to prove their case, make them work and pay their lawyer.

If you have to go to court, move most of the bees a day or two before the court date. That way if things
do not go your way you can at least tell the judge that you have been working to solve the problem. If
things go well, then quietly return the hives at a later date.

--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net