From:
Stephen Augustine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:05:54 -0700
Just in case there is any confusion regarding the initial post on
"fireweed" Dr. Ramadan was referring to "Senecio madagascariensis" which is
a yellow flower that is a member of the daisy family (it even looks like a
daisy) and is found in large areas in Australia. The "fireweed" mentioned
most commonly in the U.S. as a honey plant is "Epilobium augustifolium"
which has many pinky purple flowers on a single stalk. Epilobium is common
in much of the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. where deforestation has
occurred or a fire has recently cleared trees. Bees make a truly premium
honey from it. As far as I know the plant does not contain any toxins and
Native Americans even used the leaves and flowers to make tea.

Some URLs:
Senecio: http://nb.au.com/nswweedsoc/NoxiousWeeds/Fireweed.html
Epilobium:
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/wilderness/wildflowers/fireweed.htm