From:
Peter Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:53:01 +1300
> HelloKaren and All,
> I went in a store the other day to try to get shelf space. The store was
> selling 12 oz. bears labeled Blueberry Honey,  Orange honey, strawberry
> honey and four or five other flavers. In small print was the information
the
> honey was flavored and not from those floral sources. Kind of like Honey
> sticks. Bob

The Codex Alimentarius has a standard for honey.  I hope this link works.  If
not try our site, we have some good info on it there.

http://www.codexalimentarius.net/docsearch/docs/en/enSTA012.htm

When labelling for a specific source the following relevent section of the
Codex says:

"Section 6 Labelling
Section 6.1 The Name of the Food

Subsection 6.1.4"

"Honey may be designated according to floral or plant source if it comes
wholly or mainly from that particular source and has the organoleptic,
physicochemical and microscopic properties corresponding with that origin."

i.e. it must look like a duck, walk like a duck, have webbed feet, flat bill,
feathers and quack.........

Identification therefore becomes a matter of selecting parameters that are
indicative of that honey, quantifying the range of known values statistically
and then applying the known model to the sample in question.  Sounds simple,
but in fact is a lot of work - howevever the outcome is good quality control -
and maybe some regulatory control if fraud becomes an issue with high priced
selected honey types.

Regards,
Peter Bray
Airborne Honey Ltd., Pennington St, PO Box 28, Leeston,
New Zealand Fax 64-3-324-3236,  Phone 64-3-324-3569
http://www.airborne.co.nz  [log in to unmask]