From:
Marc Studebaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 19:18:31 -0500
4 large Basswood trees in the area.  Can anyone tell me when Basswood
>bloom begins in this area.
Colleene,
It depends on what variety of basswood you have.  Since you are im Michigan,
I would recommend that you contact George S Ayes, Dept. of Entomology,
University of MI.  He has done extensive research on Basswood  ( Tilla ) and
should be able to help in your area.

>I have never done a split.  My biggest
>concern is doing something wrong.  Can anyone give me "Idiot Proof"
>instructions on this as in "Hive Splits For Dummies"?

For a beginner here is what I would suggest:
The dandeloins should be blooming in your area now, which is a good time to
split.  I assume that you have 2 deeps for brood chambers.  Order a new
queen.  Equallize the two hive bodies by putting the same amount of brood
(capped and uncapped) and the same amount of honey and pollen in both
chambers ( brood in the center please).  Insert a queen excluder between the
boxes.  3 days later set the box without eggs on a new bottom board and
reduce the entrance.  A few hours later install the queen in her cage to the
new colony.  You may need to feed the split if it has less than 3 frames of
honey.  3 - 4 days later check to see that the queen has been released, if
not remove the cork from opposite the candy end and set the cage back in so
she can walk out.  Check a week later for eggs.
Voila- a new hive.
Marc Studebaker
Geneva, IN.