From:
"Coleene E. Davidson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:25:30 -0500
Aaron points out:
> It is possibly (probable?) that restocking with bees that have been
> artificially kept alive with chemical treatments is contrary to a goal of
> breeding varroa tolerant bees.

Man has attempted to "Improve" many species by breeding desired
characteristics into them.  The result has many times yielded disastrous
results.  Collie dogs have congenital retinal detachment leaving young dogs
blind, many large breeds suffer from dysplastic hips, Miniature Schnauzers
have congenital cataracts and temperment has suffered in many breeds.  Why
would bees be any different.  We select for temperment, productivity and a
decreased swarming tendencies.  By selecting for what we want in bees, what
have we given up?  Swarming, by increasing feral populations, also increased
gene diversity, there by increasing potential for development of natural
selection against varroa as well as other diseases-AFB for example.  By
artificially selecting for specific genetic characteristics, at the expense
of others, we weaken the species as a whole.

Coleene