From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:55:56 +0100
Hi All

I am surprised that there is no "standard" for woodware in USA.

In UK we have had standards for 120 years... Sadly there are few that adhere
to them.

But apart from "standards" (or lack of them) there seems to be a decline in
"quality" over recent years. I am referring to the seasoning of timber, its
accuracy and repeatability of cutting, and the smoothness of machining.

Well made joints enhance the resale value, but many hives I have seen in
photographs recently have gaps and mismatches of as much as 1.5 mm (1/16").
The production tolerances in my manufacturing system was plus or minus 0.1
mm (0.004") which was not difficult to maintain. I would have expected the
modern robotic machines to equal or better that.

Regards From:- Dave Cushman, G8MZY
Beekeeping and Bee Breeding, http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman