From:
Milt Lathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:34:41 -0400
I took advantage of an opportunity to pickup a 4# package of Italians
which I installed last Saturday, just before dark.
   However, this was my first experience with releasing the queen directly
into the hive, instead of letting the bees chew thru candy in the cage.
   QUESTION: How do you get her out of the cage?
   I pulled the cork and she wouldn't or couldn't find the hole.  I didn't
want to jiggle her too much so for 2 minutes I tried to will her to walk
out onto the comb (9 frames of foundation - 1 drawn comb w/nectar & pollen).
Finally, I took a couple frames back out of the box and laid the cage on
top of the bees on the bottom board. Left it there for 2-3 minutes then
grabbed the metal tab attached to the cage and pulled up a whole ball of
bees.  Gently brushed and pulled them away using my fingers - No queen in
sight.  THEN - I had to (again) slowly return the frames to the box fearing
all the time that I might be injuring the queen.
    There must be a better way - please explain in baby terms if you must!
    Speaking of better ways - no attendants in the cage means the bees had
to feed her, right?  I learnt something from this go-round.  As soon as I
removed the queen from the package - the girls emitted such a buzzing
roar!  I take this as Proof that they had already accepted her.  So- why
not use direct release - if you know how. 8^)

    Thank You.