From:
Brad Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:56:53 -0400
Hi All,

Well, my first year turned out pretty successful, I guess, as I was able
extracted 300 lbs of honey from 2 hives and the bees are making good
progress in their stores for winter.  I also seem to have made a successful
summer split using a NWC Queen from Heitkam's.  So far so good as the new
queen is laying excellent brood patterns.  This is a great hobby to this
point (LOL).  We'll see how the winter goes here in SE Nebraska
(Plattsmouth)...

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is to ask about honey sweetness.  I
have had many people comment that my honey is not as sweet as the store
bought stuff.  They then go on to say, to my immense relief, that they like
mine better as a result and that they have always felt that honey was too
sweet, almost sickening sweet, when they get it from the stores.  I do not
have an answer for these people on why mine is not as sweet, or why the
store's is so sweet and was hoping that some of you could help me out.

Some of my theories include (please don't laugh): 1) that because I don't
filter my honey as thoroughly as the commercial operations do (I strain
through nylon as the finest (smallest) filter) that I have more pollen
particles to diffuse the sweetness.  2) that commercial honey, especially
foriegn mixed honey, may contain a lot of honey made from feeding bees corn
syrup.  This theory was just given a bit more creedance as I wrote this
post.  My wife called and told me that a friend of her's at work said that
she has allergic reactions to corn products in the way of constricted air
passages (why she lives in Nebraska is beyond me). When she eats corn
products the make her wheeze and she has the same symptoms when she eats
generic honey.  I don't know if it's related but she's going to try some of
my honey to see if she has the same reaction.  I'll let you know the
results.

Does any of you have a more definitive reason for this sweetness factor?  I
am not an expert of nectar types here in SE Nebraska yet, but I would say
that it is a mixture of clovers, Honey Locust, and wild and 'domestic'
flowers.  Also some Alfalfa and maybe soy beans too.

Thanks,

-Brad