From:
Al Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:23:20 -0700
I have had a number of hives trashed by SHB. As was mentioned the beetles are all around me down here
but seem to only hit a weak hive. As for surviving the winter, I am not sure if they could overwinter
in the hive but it could be possible. I find adults in every hive.

I have seen hives that I thought were OK taken out by the beetle in a short time. You have to keep
an eye on things.

If you get a swarm the hive that swarmed can be lost in as little as two weeks. There could be an
attractor between swarming and SHB such as reduced activity by house bees in cell preperation
(for example).

It is also very hard for a hived swarm to make it. Giving the bees too much super space may be a problem.
I am starting new hives in nuc boxes instead of 10 frame equipment in an attempt to reduce SHB damage.

A suprising test to see how bad SHB is: If a colony is found without brood put in a frame with some capped
and some open brood. Come back in about 15 minutes. If SHB is in the hive the adults will be all over the
brood.

--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net