From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:19:34 -0700
> If TM is used,
> eventually some AFB will become resistant.  Whenever and wherever
> this happens, those hives will have to be burnt.  To avoid this
> unpleasant situation, burn all AFB hives wherever found.  Do I have
> this straight?

Yes, you do, and that sums it up nicely.

Whether or not a beekeeper uses drugs as a preventative, if a breakdown is
found, it is wise to dispose immediately of any signs of the AFB.  That includes
all frames that have active cells or scale.

Where drugs are not permitted, it is necessary to destroy the whole hive and
perhaps even the bees.  I won't go into details here.  Disposal in either case
can be by burning, or where there is enough material to make it worthwhile to
store, transport and process, the combs can be rendered for wax -- again
depending on local regulations.

In areas where drugs are permitted, and if no signs of resistance have
previously been found, a beekeeper has the option of treating the hive(s) with
OTC and keeping them under observation, preferably after removing all obvious
signs of disease.  Moving such hives to a 'nurse yard' is traditional, so that
they are segregated from the other hives and are sure to be treated and observed
on a definite schedule. Usually such hives have cleaned up nicely and after some
time are no more likely to break down that others in the outfit.

Where drugs are not permitted, the situation is much more grave and more drastic
action is necessary.  There is a chance that other hives in the apiary are also
exposed to an external source of infection and there is no protection.  Careful
observation and quick action is necessary to save the outfit. If possible any
potential source of infection must immediately be found and removed.

Both regimes have their advantage and their advocates.  Both have their costs
and pitfalls.  The elimination of disease without drugs is better suited to
small geographically isolated areas with little or well controlled migratory
beekeeping and a political system that either fosters co-operation or imposes
compliance.  Drugs are better suited to large countries with a tendency to civil
disobedience and widespread uncontrolled movement.

In either case, the destruction of infected matter is wise.  However, with
drugs, rehabilitation and continued use of hives that have experienced AFB or
are exposed chronically to an environment with potential AFB is possible.

Drug resistance in AFB is a new phenomenon and although there is widespread
speculation, and although that speculation is repeated as fact by those who
should know better, we really know nothing about what is going on.  We are only
now embarking on a search to find out if resistance is something that is likely
to be generated in any outfit using drugs (history seems to indicate the
contrary) or simply a case of a rare mutation being spread around.

Hopefully we know more soon.  In the meantime, look for AFB and destroy all
signs of it according to your local recommendations as soon as you find it.

allen