From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:04:45 -0400
Most of my deep hive bodies are 10 years or more old with just exterior
latex every five or more years. I have found, in my limited experience,
that it is not the paint that causes premature aging as much as damage
to the top or bottom edges that limits the life of a box, since once
there is any opening, the bees tend to increase its size to provide
another opening. Duct tape is a great life extender in these cases. Or
trimming the top and bottom to make a medium or shallow super. The rest
of the wood is fine.

Just wonder if that is only my experience or it is more universal- that
paint is not the problem but other factors like damage in handling and
damage by the bees which really limits the life of a box.

My shallow supers are fine and look like they could go forever and most
have only their initial coat of latex. It is just the deeps that get the
wear and tear from hive tool and bees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me