From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 20:13:13 -0400
Exactly. And I believe the fix is to promote U.S. honey. People everywhere seem
to be keyed in to the plight of the honeybee. Folks ask me all the time how the
bees are. "There's some kind of problem with the bees," they say. It wouldn't
take much to convince the public that buying american honey would help solve
some of our problems with higher prices. General Foods would put made with
American honey on their honey nut cheerios if they thought it would boost their
sales. And if a jar of honey on the shelf was correctly labeled it might help.
When you buy "U.S.D.A. grade A" honey, it should mean "U.S." D.A. grade A honey.
And what if those honey nut cheerios were made with honey instead of high
fructose corn syrup. That would help. And having a honey board that would be
willing to make these changes and promote U.S. honey in these ways would
definitely help. But just promoting honey to sell more to the manufacturing
sector is and has been a disaster to the U.S. beekeeper.