From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:13:25 -0400
Barry Birkey wrote:

> Hi Bill -
>
> Will you please put names to those other "independent researchers?"

The first tests were done by beekeepers in the local chapter of the
State organization under DrRs supervision and the test failed, if you
recall. That was the disaster. The experiment was ended by the
beekeepers because of losses.
Another by French scientists that showed the method had promise but
compared to other methods they could not recommend it. The third by, if
I recall the country correctly, a researcher in Sweden who treated with
Oxalic acid after treating with FGMO and it showed a remaining high mite
count.

FGMO does drop mites. That has never been contested. But so do many
other techniques which are cheaper, less labor intensive and more
effective.

Barry, I am happy DrR is enjoying success in Argentina. For all of us,
could you please let us know the articles in the journals that
demonstrate the effectiveness of FGMO done by independent researchers. I
would love to be proved wrong, since my position has always been a
desire for independent data on FGMO. As you recall, I supported it in
its
inception. I published his research in our State newsletter, with
permission. The rational of suffocating the mites made sense. The
research looked good. But it did not live up to the initial research
when tried elsewhere. So I have been and will continue to be skeptical.
Any proponent of an effective Varroa control would want to see their
technique supported by independent research. So would I. And if it is
effective in Argentina, then I am sure there must be a wealth of
information available. You might point us to it.
Thanks,

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME