Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:54:50 EST
  Here in coastal CT USA the privet blooms just prior to sumac. Last year
there was little sumac as it rained almost the entire bloom period. Honey
from that time tasted pretty awful. I still think it gets covered over by
other nectars and you don't notice it unless the weather shifts and there is
a dearth.
    So far overwinter survival is at least 75% I think the stores lasted far
longer with a prolonged cold and perhaps the fall sugar feeding helped keep
the waste solids down. Most of my losses were packages or new queens so I
agree with the folks who are bemoaning queen quality and will be raising more
of my own from swarm cells providing I can keep the defensiveness tolerable.