From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 10:00:18 +1200
Dr Molan does a truly riveting talk on the treatment of wounds with honey,
complete with some of the grossest photos one would ever want to see...  He
is absolutely enthusiastic about the process of wound healing: the things
that are needed, such as tissue regeneration, lack of infection, etc.  Then,
using overhead transparencies that he is drawing on, he graphically
describes how it all happens, in very simple to understand terms.

Honey provides all sorts of advantages in the process: keeps the wound from
drying out, is antibiotic/antibacterial (esp. manuka, which has been found
to have particular quantities of this), and doesn't peel off the
regenerating tissue as it forms.

Dr Molan has done most of his work with manuka honey.  *All* honeys are
antibiotic/antibacterial, due to such things as high sugar content and the
production of a small amount of hydrogen peroxide.  Dr Molan has found,
however, that some manuka honey (not all...) has *another* expression of
antibiotic/antibacterial, one that gives it exceptional 'strength' (did
this, incidentally, by removing the hydrogen peroxide component and
re-testing, etc... - *excellent* science and method he employs).

In common practice?  For me, I'll put honey on any wound, but if I was
*really* wanting to do a good job with it, I'd go for one that has been
tested and shown high activity.

And I like that idea of using the syringe!  I'm going to have one set up and
ready to go...